NGO Committee on Sustainable Development, Vienna
About the Committee
The focus of the committee is on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of sustainable development. It provides a forum for NGOs interested in discussing and analyzing the work of the UN intergovernmental bodies in the field of sustainable development, as well as the related activities of the Vienna-based UN organizations. It encourages new initiatives and seeks inputs into civil society’s contribution to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the United Nations in September 2015.
The work we do
The Committee interacts with the high-level political forum on sustainable development, the successor body to the UN Commission on Sustainable Development, the Vienna-based UN organizations (UNOV, UNIDO, UNODC, IAEA and CTBTO) and the Vienna-based NGO Committees, as well as with other international organizations in Austria, such as IIASA.
The Committee focuses on the potential for practical cooperation with the United Nations and other international organizations in areas it deems especially relevant, such as:
- Sustainability in the context of global economic expansion, with particular attention to
- Sustainability in the early stages of economic development
- Sustainable technology at various stages of economic development
- Food security: provision of the necessary quantity and quality of food for all
- Provision of sustainable energy for all
- Education for sustainability
Part of our work is to draft and submit statements on behalf of our member organizations and CoNGO. Find our recent statements here.
Our members are not individual people, but rather representatives of NGOs and INGOs from a diverse background. Together we are committed to sustainable development and ensuring a full implementation of the SDGs.