NGO Committee on Sustainable Development, Vienna
The focus of the committee is on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of sustainable development. It provides a forum for NGOs interested in discussing and analyzing the work of the UN intergovernmental bodies in the field of sustainable development, as well as the related activities of the Vienna-based UN organizations. It encourages new initiatives and seeks inputs into civil society’s contribution to the post-2015 agenda of the United Nations and the multilateral negotiations scheduled to start in September 2014.
The Committee interacts with the high-level political forum on sustainable development, the successor body to the UN Commission on Sustainable Development, the Vienna-based UN organizations (UNOV, UNIDO, UNODC, IAEA and CTBTO) and the Vienna-based NGO Committees, as well as with other international organizations in Austria, such as IIASA.
The Committee focuses on the potential for practical cooperation with the United Nations and other international organizations in areas it deems especially relevant, such as:
- Sustainability in the context of global economic expansion, with particular attention to:
- Sustainability in the early stages of economic development
- Sustainable technology at various stages of economic development
- Food security: provision of the necessary quantity and quality of food for all
- Provision of sustainable energy for all
- Education for sustainability